If you have never tried yuzu before, this yuzu mojito is the perfect place to start! Yuzu's sour, fragrant taste perfectly compliments the lime and mint in this classic summer cocktail.
Yuzu is a citrus fruit that is most often used in Japanese cuisine for various sauces and drinks, including popular ponzu sauce. The juice's flavor is similar to lemon, but quite a bit more sour with notes of orange and grapefruit.
It can be hard to find fresh in the states (unless you live by a japanese market), but the bottled juice and frozen zest can be found online.
This mojito recipe riffs off of a classic mojito, but uses half yuzu, half lime instead. Simply just muddle mint, lime, sugar and yuzu juice and then top with rum and club soda. Pretty easy, right?
Although mint is classic for a mojito, another popular variation uses basil instead! It definitely changes the flavor but is equally as refreshing and delicious!
I like to muddle sugar along with the citrus in this recipe instead of using simple syrup. That I way I can control how sweet I want the drink to be, some simple syrups have a lot of sugar added.
- ½ lime
- ½ cup fresh mint
- 1 tsp sugar, (or more to taste)
- ½ oz yuzu juice
- 2 oz white rum
- 4 oz club soda
- Add the limes, mint, sugar, and yuzu juice directly to a highball glass and muddle with cocktail muddler until the limes are well juiced.
- Next, add the rum and top the glass with plenty of ice. Add the club soda and give it a quick stir. Garnish with a lime wedge and mint sprig if desired.
Did you make this yuzu mojito? Rate the recipe above!
Follow Redwood Kitchen on social media!
If you like this recipe be sure to comment or subscribe below for more great recipes!
- Cook meat to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove