Looking for a simple side soup to serve? This vegetarian courgette and pea soup (zucchini and pea soup) is a perfect, flavorful soup to round out any meal! It is good warm or chilled and is very easy to make. The lemon juice and fresh mint adds brightness to this dish.
I love making simple cream soups when hosting a dinner party or when looking for a quick vegetable side. Pretty much any veggie can be used and they are a great way to use any seasonal delicacies.
For this recipe I use fresh green peas (I alway get a bunch from my garden), but frozen peas will work just well. In combination with courgettes, they add a great fresh spring flavor to this soup.
Simply just boil the veggies with some seasonings like celery seed, olive oil, and garlic and blend up with a stick blender! I find that with really fresh vegetables just using water is fine, but you can use vegetable stock as well.
In my opinion, finishing this dish off with a squeeze of lemon juice and some heavy cream is the icing on the cake! It creates such a luscious texture and adds that little pop of flavor that keeps you wanting more.
- Fresh green peas
- Courgette (zucchini)
- Heavy Cream
Full ingredient list below.
This dish is vegetarian, but if you are looking for vegan recipes you can easily omit the heavy cream at the end or substitute with coconut milk (full fat works better in soup). This dish is often made with basil instead of mint too, so feel free to substitute the herbs.
Don't be shy with the blender! Depending on your stick blender, I recommend blending for at least 3-5 minutes to really get that smooth texture.
Still looking for some other soup recipes to try? Check out these options,
Courgette and Pea Soup (Zucchini and Pea Soup)
- 6 cups water, (or vegetable broth)
- 2 large courgettes, (zucchini)
- 2 cups peas, (freshly shelled or frozen)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, (plus more for serving)
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- ½ teaspoon black pepper, (plus more for serving)
- 1 cup mint leaves
- 1 lemon, (juiced)
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Bring the water to a boil in a large sauce pan or soup pot. Add the courgette (zucchini), peas, salt, sugar, black pepper, and olive oil. Simmer uncovered at medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, or until the courgette are fork tender.
- Next, add the mint and then blend the soup with a stick blender until very smooth, at least 3-5 minutes.
- Finish by adding the squeezed lemon juice and heavy cream. Taste and adjust for salt. Serve with some freshly cracked black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
Did you make courgette and pea soup? Rate the recipe above!
Follow Redwood Kitchen on social media!
If you like this recipe be sure to comment or subscribe below for more great recipes!
- Cook meat to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove