Slow cooked to tender perfection, these Mediterranean green beans will round out a great veggie side to any dinner. Flavored with tons of lemon and fresh dill and stewed with tomatoes, I am pretty positive there will be no leftovers on the table for this one.
My secret ingredient for this recipe is dill seed. It has a stronger and deeper dill flavor than fresh dill and is better at flavoring a sauce or brine. It is what makes dill pickles so delicious and well, dilly. In combination with the olive oil and lemon juice, it creates a flavorful base for the braised green beans.
This recipe is fully vegan and vegetarian but trust me when I say, any meat eater wouldn't even notice. In fact, I often eat this green beans recipe with a side of rice or couscous for a dinner. It is plenty filling for a main course dish if you are looking for a simple weekday dinner.
I am a big fan of mediterranean diet recipes, which is cooking mostly plant based foods with lots of fresh flavor and grains. This dish definitely falls into this category. To round a great dinner try it with some Mediterranean halibut or a simple Turkish Moussaka.
- Fresh Green Beans
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Full ingredient list below.
Mediterranean Side Dishes
Looking for some other Mediterranean side dishes? Try these,
Mediterranean Green Beans
- 1 lb green beans (ends trimmed)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 white onion (sliced thinly)
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoon dill seed
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes (canned works well)
- ¼ fresh dill (minced, more for garnish)
- 1 Lemon, (scrubbed)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- ½ teaspoon fresh black pepper
- Start by heating a large fry pan or sauté pan to medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, green beans, onions, garlic, dill seed, tomatoes, dill, salt, and pepper. Juice the lemons into the pan and leave the rinds in the pan as well.
- Cover and turn the heat to low. Cook for 45 minutes. Stir occasionally and press the lemons with the back of a wooden spoon to let more lemon juice out.
- Remove the lemon rinds and serve with fresh dill for garnish.
Did you make these Mediterranean green beans? Rate the recipe above!
Follow Redwood Kitchen on social media!
If you like this recipe be sure to comment or subscribe below for more great recipes!
- Cook meat to a minimum temperature of 165 °F (74 °C)
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food, that previously touched raw meat
- Wash hands after touching raw meat
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods
- Never leave cooking food unattended
- Use oils with high smoking point to avoid harmful compounds
- Always have good ventilation when using a gas stove