Cucumber beetroot salad is a must try for your next summer dinner party or really any other time you want a great salad! The layers of sweet and tart flavors make this salad not only delicious, but very healthy and antioxidant-rich.
Roasted beets do take a while to cook, especially large ones, so this is definitely a make ahead salad. I usually roast a few more than I need though and keep some chopped beets as leftovers for other meals. Make sure to use a spare cutting board or a plastic cutting board when peeling and chopping the beets though. You don’t want to ruin a nice wood cutting board with beet juices. Be prepared to get caught beet-handed after this too!
What to serve with cucumber beetroot salad
The herbed yogurt dressing is very easy to make while the beets are cooking. I use mint leaves and cilantro, but a handful of any chopped fresh herbs will go well, such as dill, parsley, tarragon, or basil. Try and experiment with different combinations to find your preference. Beets go very well with tart flavors like lemon juice, pomegranate molasses, and feta so be sure to layer up all of those ingredients.
Between the mellow crunch of the cucumbers and the juicy pops of the beet, the textures in this recipe make it a great, refreshing salad for any summer dinner or lunch. But don’t be afraid to make this in the winter either when beets are in-season.
Cucumber and Beetroot Salad with Herbed Yogurt Dressing
Herbed Yogurt Dressing
- 1 lemon, (juiced)
- 1 clove garlic, (minced)
- 1/2 cup mint and cilantro, (minced, or any other herbs)
- 4 tbsp greek yogurt
- salt and fresh pepper
Cucumber Beetroot Salad
- 1 english cucumber, (cut into 1/2" dice)
- 1 lb beets, (red or gold)
- 1/2 cup feta, (crumbled)
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses, (or a sweet balsamic reduction, optional)
- pomegranate seeds, (for topping, optional)
- mint and cilantro (for topping)
- sea salt (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 425°. Wrap beets with tin foil, and place on a sheet pan and roast for 1 hour, depending on the size of the beets. Remove from the oven and cool. Rub the skin off and chop into 1/2" dice.
- Mix all the herbed yogurt dressing ingredients together in a bowl and set aside.
- On a large serving platter or in a salad bowl, plate the chopped cucumber and beets and top with olive oil, pomegranate molasses, feta, pomegranate seeds, mint, cilantro, and a sprinkle of sea salt.
Follow Redwood Kitchen on social media!
If you like this recipe be sure to comment below or subscribe for more great recipes delivered to right your inbox.
Leave a Reply